15 points total) (Profitability and capital structure analysis) In the year that just ended, Callaway Lighting had sales of $5,470,000 and incurred cost of goods sold equal to $4,460,000. The firm's operating expenses were $128,000 and its increase in retained earnings was $42,000 for the year. There are currently 99,000 common stock shares outstanding and the firm pays a $4.770 dividend per share. The firm has $1,180,000 in interest-bearing debt on which it pays 7.7 percent interest.
a. (5 points) Assuming the firm's earnings are taxed at 35%, construct the firm's income statement.
Cost of Goods Sold
Net Operating Income
Earnings before Taxes
b. (5 points) Calculate the firm's operating profit margin and net profit margin. (Round to one decimal place.)
The operating profit margin is
The net income margin is
c. (5 points) Compute the times interest earned ratio.
The times interest earned ratio is
What does this tell you about Callaway's ability to pay its interest expense? (Fill in the blank with the times interest earned ratio from above and select the best choice.)
1) Callaway's operating income can fall as much as ______ times the interest expense and the company would still be able to service its debt.
2) Callaway's interest expense is _______ times higher than its competitors.
3) Callaway's gross profit can fall as much as ______ times and still be able to service its debt.
4) Callaway's operating income can fall as much as ______ times and still be able to repay its debt.
What is the fin's return on equity? (Select the best choice.)
1) The firm's return on equity is the same as the net profit margin, 9.4%.
2) The firm's return on equity is the sum of the operating profit margin and the net profit margin, 25.5%.
3) There is not enough information to answer this question.
4) The firm's return on equity is the same as the operating profit margin, 16.1%.
This question was answered on: May 23, 2022
This attachment is locked
Our expert Writers have done this assignment before, you can reorder for a fresh, original and plagiarism-free copy and it will be redone much faster (Deadline assured. Flexible pricing. TurnItIn Report provided)
May 23, 2022EXPERT
We have top-notch tutors who can do your essay/homework for you at a reasonable cost and then you can simply use that essay as a template to build your own arguments.
You can also use these solutions: